Monday, December 10, 2012

My LVD 2 DVD Transfer Station.


My "secret" to getting  solid Transfers 
from the old Laser 2 DVD.
                      

             
1st, lets get something straight, a good recorder is a must have. Don't expect the Wal-mart $98 dollar el-cheapo to do the trick. ( Better would be to have a Video capture card for your PC.) 

I have a Pioneer Elite. It will allow me to record in the HQ Super-bit mapped XP 1 hour record mode, and will record 2 channel LPCM. So this thing can copy the LD soundtrack perfectly, ok. None of that low end DD 192kbps sound is to be had here.


A HQ burner is a must !

Second of all, and this seams fairly simple and straight forward, you will also need a 1st rate Laserdisc player. It seems to me like Laserdisc fans understand that.

Here is the real trick. Instead of putting the machines on top of one another, put them BACK TO BACK. Also, if you can, set them each on their own isolation tables. That way, none of the vibrations from the Laserdisc player will be picked up by the burner. Then,and here's the really big secret, get rid of the video cable all together by directly connecting the machines together with a pair of couplers  ( in this case I used some of old Radio Shack's Gold series male/female plug to plug 75 ohm couplers) This way there is as little loss or change to the video signal that you can have, since all a cable can do is harm.
Video Direct Out
Set the video recorder's input mode to "dark" if that option is available. This helps prevent the disc from looking washed out during normal playback. I use an older high end JVC monitor because it has enough connections in the back to get the job done.
You are now set to Transfer your LD Title to DVD. Set the burner to the correct input, select the 1 hour record mode, and off you go. Note: I also use 1st rate audio cables that are very short in length for great sound.               


I then run the audio out of the tv, which allows me to listen to the sound on my "monitoring station"

The whole thing is plugged into a power supply which is run through a Tripp-Lite Isobar.



And that's the way I do it. 



























'  



No comments:

Post a Comment